Re: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed

From: Clément Pit-Claudel
Subject: Re: tabulated-list sort icon is reversed
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2019 09:05:28 -0500

On 15/02/2019 08.38, Philippe Vaucher wrote:
> So, what do you reckon is the way forward about this issue? I'm willing to
> make a better attempt at my defcustom patch, but I'm not sure there's enough
> consensus for it to then be accepted.

I'm not sure.  I think there should be little opposition to making the symbols
customizable, but changing to an image in a robust way might be trickier (we
want the image to scale to match the font size).

I wonder: instead of an image, can we use a glyph? IOW, is there a
platform-independent way to either load a custom font into Emacs, or create a
custom font and tell it which characters it contains?  This would be a nice
solution for this issue: we would just display the sorting indicator with that
custom font and be all done.

This would actually improve the status quo in many situations where things are
currently done with images.  For example, it would make it easy to display
icons that scale nicely (e.g. in mu4e) or to implement new powerline separators
(https://github.com/milkypostman/powerline/blob/master/powerline-separators.el).

Cheers,
Clément.