Search and replace speed is mode dependent

From: Dov Grobgeld
Subject: Search and replace speed is mode dependent
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2019 14:00:27 +0200

I wonder if there is any work around (except toggling back and forth to fundamental-mode) for search and replacement speed? E.g. for a 2900 line long html file in web-mode, doing a string based search and replace that touches almost every line takes about 8s on my i7-8700k box. A subsequent undo is even slower (20s?). On the other hand, if I remember to switch to fundamental-mode before doing the the search and replace it is instantaneous, and so is undo. Another operation that suffer from the same bad mode interaction is apply-macro-to-region-lines.

Is there any workaround for this? Is this a known issue?

My emacs version is:

GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.23.2) of 2018-08-13

Regards,