Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property (was: master cd06d17: Fix bug w

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Fwd: Flymake and the 'face' property (was: master cd06d17: Fix bug with face-id after restoring from pdump)
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2019 18:47:19 +0000

Hello Eli and Daniel,

On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 5:54 PM Daniel Colascione <address@hidden> wrote:
> Making this 'face property on random symbols special is bad design. It
> affects only flymake *as far we know*, but that could be ignorance or
> blind luck. Emacs shouldn't be using high-collision-probability names on
> arbitrary symbols for internal purposes when other options are available.

Are you saying that no facilities in Emacs should reserve global
symbols for their own implementation details?  If so I agree, it is bad
design.

I though that flymake wasn't one of those packages, that it was
merely storing potential values for an overlay's plist somewhere else:
that there was no flymake-specific meaning given to 'face'.

But now I'm not so sure: looking at the code overlay-specific categories
*aren't* being stored in plists, so this should be some obsolete leftover
that we could in theory just remove.  I hope it is, but I have to double-check.

Doesn't change Daniel's "bad design" argument IMO, tho.

--
João Távora