Re: Finding the dump

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Finding the dump
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2019 13:20:24 -0500

> By contrast, opening and reading a file is simple, is portable, and
> works well.  The issue with finding it via argv[0] is relatively
> simple to solve.  And if we for some reason decide that argv[0] is not
> reliable enough, I already mentioned up-thread an alternative of using
> platform-specific techniques to obtain the full absolute file name of
> the executable without relying on argv[0].

The issue is the following:

User FOO makes his own dump.  Maybe even several different dumps
(e.g. one for his Gnus session, one for his Org session, and one for
his programming sessions).

How is he going to start each one of those?

He can go and create shell scripts that do `emacs --dump-file <foo>`, or
he can manually start his Emacs with the corresponding options, but it's
much simpler for him to make the dumps executable (and have the dumps
look for the only matching `emacs` rather than have `emacs` guess which
dump was meant).

> I see no reason to increase complexity and introduce methods that
> expose system dependencies on the user level due to the issue that
> started this thread.

AFAIK, the only complexity is to (optionally) skip the first page when

        Stefan