Re: Finding the dump

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Finding the dump
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 17:33:34 +0200

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2019 11:54:01 +0100
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Jan 27 2019, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > That prevents having several dumps for the same executable and that
> > doesn't help finding the directory in which the dump is stored.
>
> That problem already exists today, adding the fingerprint doesn't make
> it worse.  IMHO the dump file should really only be searched in
> exec-directory.  If you want to find it somewhere else, just pass
> --dump-file (or a new option --dump-directory).

Indeed.  In fact, Stefan's suggestion is just a slightly fancy (and
less portable) way of having an executable script which does

  /foo/bar/emacs --dump-file=/wherever/something.pdmp

This is something users with certain needs and workflows may wish
doing, but I see no reason why we as a project would need to force
everyone on using such a setup.  I see no advantages in it that would
justify it.