RE: eldoc vs minibuffer-auto-raise

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: eldoc vs minibuffer-auto-raise
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 14:25:36 -0800 (PST)

>  > I'm using MS Windows.  Perhaps the window mgr is involved
>  > here, switching the focus to the minibuffer frame in your
>  > case?
>
> No.  I suppose you have set 'w32-grab-focus-on-raise' to nil so you
> won't see this behavior.

Yes, it's nil.  (Not that I even remembered what
that variable is or does, or when I set it to nil.)

However, I see the same behavior even if I set the
var to `t'.  In my case, no doubt due to something
else in my setup, the focus stays where I left it,
in the *scratch* frame.  Eldoc puts its msgs in the
minibuffer frame (in the echo area, presumably), and
focus stays put, in *scratch*.

However2: With the variable = t things are really
annoying outside of Emacs!

E.g., while typing this mail in Outlook (not Emacs),
Eldoc (?) keeps periodically sending the window-mgr
focus to the Emacs *scratch* frame (not to the
minibuffer frame - again, no doubt due to my setup),
so text I try to type into Outlook ends up in
*scratch*.  That's creepy weird.

I'm not familiar with that variable, and I don't
really make much, if any, real use of Eldoc, but
if other users also find Eldoc periodically stealing
focus from other window-mgr windows and redirecting
it to some Emacs frame I'd think that would be quite
annoying.  (Has anyone reported that?)

Good thing I have it set to nil, I guess.