Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extract

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 55ec674: * lisp/multifile.el: New file, extracted from etags.el
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2019 01:53:00 +0300

On 19.01.2019 00:11, Stefan Monnier wrote:
You're thinking of project-ignores. project-vc-ignores is a variable for the
user to be able to tweak that list. Other editors such as Atom and VS Code
have a section in the preferences for this, but

Any reason to have this in the `vc` backend, rather than have it be
a feature of project.el that applies to all projects?

That's the approach I'm taking with the API: more asking, less telling.

And having a variable is not the best UI there is. Third-party project backends already have some ways to configure them, so we should just let them provide the information.

Projectile has .projectile which contains similar information: https://www.projectile.mx/en/latest/projects/#ignoring-files

EDE has Project.ede, although it doesn't seem to include the notion of ignores. ede-ignored-file-alist contains something pertinent, though (but that variable is weird).

The sets of files that are checked into the repository and the files that
the user might like to visit or search are not necessarily the same.

You mean, we'd like to ignore ldefs-boot.el?  Yeah, I see, that
makes sense.
More or less. Although doing that for just one file won't change much in the user experience.