Re: Emacs text shaping using Harfbuzz

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs text shaping using Harfbuzz
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2018 10:47:18 -0800

The Emacs harfbuzz branch built fine for me on Fedora 29 (no surprise). I saw no problems, not that I would catch many (the Arabic I saw displayed OK to me, but I don't read Arabic so am not the best person to judge).

One minor tweak proposed in the attached patch, for simplicity/clarity in the mainstream-Harbuzz code.

I see that Harbuzz is disabled by default by 'configure', and that there's an environment variable to disable it at runtime. I propose removing the environment variable, and enabling Harfbuzz by default at 'configure' time (if the Harbuzz libraries are available), as I don't see much point in nudging users away from Harfbuzz.

I see there are some FIXMEs and suchlike comments. Will someone be working on them?