Re: Current master does not work with sr-speedbar package (W64 build)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Current master does not work with sr-speedbar package (W64 build)
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 20:34:16 +0200

> Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2018 00:31:19 +0100 (CET)
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
>
> ;; Sr-speedbar startup
> (defun start-sr-speedbar ()
>   "My customization for `sr-speedbar' startup."
>   (interactive)
>
>   ;; Start sr-speedbar at Emacs startup
>   (sr-speedbar-open)
>
>   ;; As suggested here:
>   ;;
>   ;;   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2017-07/msg01125.html
>   ;;
>   ;; (Really I had tried this solution but putting it in wrong place!)
>   ;;
>   (ad-deactivate 'pop-to-buffer)

Can you explain why you need the above ad-deactivate?

> ;;(add-hook 'emacs-startup-hook 'start-sr-speedbar) ; the old way
> (add-hook 'window-setup-hook 'start-sr-speedbar)

And why do you start sr-speedbar from window-setup-hook?

> I notice that with that init file, now Emacs starts with a double scratch
> buffer (one in text window and one in sr-speedbar window) and minibuffer
> contains "Opening directory: No such file or directory,
> c:/msys2/tmp/emacs-master/src/". Indeed I removed the directory:
> c:/msys2/tmp/emacs-master. It is the directory where the Emacs source is
> expanded (I use the emacs-master.tar.gz from git repo).

I think this is because the sr-speedbar window is a dedicated window,
so Emacs cannot switch to *scratch* in that window.  Removing
sr-speedbar invocation from window-setup-hook will probably fix that.