Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstr

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstraps.
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 10:25:53 +0200

> Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2018 08:35:54 +0100
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> So please note that Paul is not alone with his concerns.

No, he certainly isn't.

In fact, there's an overwhelming majority here that considers any
slowdown above 1% unacceptable.  The fact that CPUs get faster, albeit
not at the same rate as 10 years ago, is not perceived as an
opportunity to perform more expensive processing in newer Emacs
versions, it is perceived as an opportunity to do the same tasks
faster.

If that were not the majority view, we would have had Emacs without
dumping many moons ago.  So the community clearly prefers performance
over features, even very important features.

Actually, I'm surprised how 10 years ago was I given a go-ahead to
make the Emacs display engine bidi-aware: that definitely slows down
redisplay, sometimes by as much as 50%.  Maybe I was just lucky.

Alan, unless your changes cause more than 1% slowdown, there's no hope
of them being accepted.  And even for 1%, expect to hear quite a few
negative opinions.  You *have* been warned.