Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstr

From: Gemini Lasswell
Subject: Re: scratch/accurate-warning-pos: Solid progress: the branch now bootstraps.
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2018 16:26:58 -0800

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello, Paul.
>
> On Fri, Nov 30, 2018 at 09:50:09 -0800, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> On 11/29/18 2:05 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> > Symbols-with-pos exists, works, and works well.  Conses-with-pos
>> > doesn't exist, hence doesn't work.  I doubt it can work.  Can you
>> > create it?
>
>> I think I could, with time.
>
> But you're not going to?
>
>> I hope someone else will do it, though, as the problem does not seem
>> that urgent. I would suggest that whoever does it, looks into Stefan's
>> ideas in this area, e.g.,
>> <https://lists.gnu.org/r/emacs-devel/2018-11/msg00532.html>.
>
> Nobody else is going to do it, and why should they?  I've already
> explained to you why the approach you suggest won't work, you being
> about the only person insisting that it will.  If you actually tried it,
> as I have, you'd soon find out that I'm right, and why.

Saying that nobody will do it is a bit strong.  I like Stefan's ideas,
understand edebug specs, and would like to know more about how the byte
compiler works.  This seems like a perfect project for that.  But it
wouldn't happen immediately, as I'd like to get my half-finished
benchmarking tool to a state where it's usable by other people, before I
start any other projects.