Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Re: [ELPA] New package: vcl-mode

From: Stig Sandbeck Mathisen
Subject: Re: [gmane.emacs.devel] Re: [ELPA] New package: vcl-mode
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 09:28:24 +0100

Sergey Poznyakoff <address@hidden> writes:

> Stig's vcl-mode was written for VCL 2.0. It was last modified in
> November, 2012. Since then the language has changed quite
> considerably, especially with transition from v3.0 to v4.0.
>
> The proposed vcl-mode.el was written from scratch. It supports VCL
> 4.0, which is the version of the language used by the recent Varnish
> releases. In fact, I've been using it since 2015 in my work, before
> finally deciding to submit it.
>
> Technically. it differs from Stig's version in that it delegates
> indentation tasks to c-mode, instead of calculating indentation
> directly. The syntax table was designed to closely match the
> language. Finally, special parenthesis-matching function is provided,
> which takes into account the VCL-specific {" ... "} multi-line string
> delimiters.
>
>> The name conflict between the two packages could be a source of
>> problems if both packages keep on living their own life.
>
> Yes, indeed. This can be solved by naming my version vcl4-mode.el.
> However, this can become misleading in the long run, e.g. if/when VCL
> 5 appears, since I'm going to keep the mode in synch with any changes
> in the language.

As Sergey writes, my "vcl-mode.el" from
https://github.com/ssm/elisp/blob/master/vcl-mode.el is out of date with
regards to the current VCL specification in Varnish, and indeed also
several past ones.  I do not intend to spend much more time on it.

I recommend that you use the much more modern "vcl-mode.el" from
http://git.gnu.org.ua/cgit/vcl-mode.git/tree/vcl-mode.el

--
Regards,
Stig Sandbeck Mathisen