Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 03bb7a8: Avoid clearing echo-area message by

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-26 03bb7a8: Avoid clearing echo-area message by auto-save-visited-file-name
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 12:11:46 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
>> Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 11:20:21 -0800
>>
>> Isn't this what `with-temp-message' is for?
>
> I concluded with-temp-message won't fit the bill here (we prompt the
> user for responses), but maybe I misunderstood something.  Take a look
> at the code, and if you can propose a cleaner solution, please do.
>
> Thanks.

Well... I highly doubt I've seen something you haven't, but the
following seems to work correctly, doesn't it?

(setq lexical-binding t)

(defun tst ()
  (interactive)
  (let ((msg "Hi!")
        (lst '("one" "two" "three")))
    (message msg)
    (sit-for 1)
    (my-map-y-or-n-p "Upcase %s? " #'upcase lst)))

(defun my-map-y-or-n-p (prompter actor list &optional help action-alist
                                 no-cursor-in-echo-area)
  "Ask a series of boolean questions.
Takes args PROMPTER ACTOR LIST, and optional args HELP and ACTION-ALIST.

LIST is a list of objects, or a function of no arguments to return the next
object or nil.

If PROMPTER is a string, the prompt is \(format PROMPTER OBJECT).  If not
a string, PROMPTER is a function of one arg (an object from LIST), which
returns a string to be used as the prompt for that object.  If the return
value is not a string, it may be nil to ignore the object or non-nil to act
on the object without asking the user.

ACTOR is a function of one arg (an object from LIST),
which gets called with each object that the user answers `yes' for.

If HELP is given, it is a list (OBJECT OBJECTS ACTION),
where OBJECT is a string giving the singular noun for an elt of LIST;
OBJECTS is the plural noun for elts of LIST, and ACTION is a transitive
verb describing ACTOR.  The default is \(\"object\" \"objects\" \"act on\").

At the prompts, the user may enter y, Y, or SPC to act on that object;
n, N, or DEL to skip that object; ! to act on all following objects;
ESC or q to exit (skip all following objects); . (period) to act on the
current object and then exit; or \\[help-command] to get help.

If ACTION-ALIST is given, it is an alist (KEY FUNCTION HELP) of extra keys
that will be accepted.  KEY is a character; FUNCTION is a function of one
arg (an object from LIST); HELP is a string.  When the user hits KEY,
FUNCTION is called.  If it returns non-nil, the object is considered
\"acted upon\", and the next object from LIST is processed.  If it returns
nil, the prompt is repeated for the same object.

Final optional argument NO-CURSOR-IN-ECHO-AREA non-nil says not to set
`cursor-in-echo-area' while prompting.

This function uses `query-replace-map' to define the standard responses,
but not all of the responses which `query-replace' understands
are meaningful here.

Returns the number of actions taken."
  (let* ((actions 0)
         user-keys mouse-event map prompt char elt def
         ;; Non-nil means we should use mouse menus to ask.
         use-menus
         delayed-switch-frame
         ;; Rebind other-window-scroll-buffer so that subfunctions can set
         ;; it temporarily, without risking affecting the caller.
         (other-window-scroll-buffer other-window-scroll-buffer)
         (next (if (functionp list)
                   (lambda () (setq elt (funcall list)))
                 (lambda () (when list
                              (setq elt (pop list))
                              t))))
         (try-again (lambda ()
                      (let ((x next))
                        (setq next (lambda () (setq next x) elt))))))
    (if (and (listp last-nonmenu-event)
             use-dialog-box)
        ;; Make a list describing a dialog box.
        (let ((objects (if help (capitalize (nth 1 help))))
              (action (if help (capitalize (nth 2 help)))))
          (setq map `(("Yes" . act) ("No" . skip)
                      ,@(mapcar (lambda (elt)
                                  (cons (with-syntax-table
                                            text-mode-syntax-table
                                          (capitalize (nth 2 elt)))
                                        (vector (nth 1 elt))))
                                action-alist)
                      (,(if help (concat action " This But No More")
                          "Do This But No More") . act-and-exit)
                      (,(if help (concat action " All " objects)
                          "Do All") . automatic)
                      ("No For All" . exit))
                use-menus t
                mouse-event last-nonmenu-event))
      (setq user-keys (if action-alist
                          (concat (mapconcat (lambda (elt)
                                               (key-description
                                                (vector (car elt))))
                                             action-alist ", ")
                                  " ")
                        "")
            ;; Make a map that defines each user key as a vector containing
            ;; its definition.
            map
            (let ((map (make-sparse-keymap)))
              (set-keymap-parent map query-replace-map)
              (dolist (elt action-alist)
                (define-key map (vector (car elt)) (vector (nth 1 elt))))
              map)))
    (with-temp-message ""
     (unwind-protect
         (progn
           (if (stringp prompter)
               (setq prompter (let ((prompter prompter))
                                (lambda (object)
                                  (format prompter object)))))
           (while (funcall next)
             (setq prompt (funcall prompter elt))
             (cond ((stringp prompt)
                    ;; Prompt the user about this object.
                    (setq quit-flag nil)
                    (if use-menus
                        (setq def (or (x-popup-dialog (or mouse-event use-menus)
                                                      (cons prompt map))
                                      'quit))
                      ;; Prompt in the echo area.
                      (let ((cursor-in-echo-area (not no-cursor-in-echo-area)))
                        (message (apply 'propertize "%s(y, n, !, ., q, %sor %s)
"
                                        minibuffer-prompt-properties)
                                 prompt user-keys
                                 (key-description (vector help-char)))
                        (if minibuffer-auto-raise
                            (raise-frame (window-frame (minibuffer-window))))
                        (while (progn
                                 (setq char (read-event))
                                 ;; If we get -1, from end of keyboard
                                 ;; macro, try again.
                                 (equal char -1)))
                        ;; Show the answer to the question.
                        (message "%s(y, n, !, ., q, %sor %s) %s"
                                 prompt user-keys
                                 (key-description (vector help-char))
                                 (single-key-description char)))
                      (setq def (lookup-key map (vector char))))
                    (cond ((eq def 'exit)
                           (setq next (lambda () nil)))
                          ((eq def 'act)
                           ;; Act on the object.
                           (funcall actor elt)
                           (setq actions (1+ actions)))
                          ((eq def 'skip)
                           ;; Skip the object.
                           )
                          ((eq def 'act-and-exit)
                           ;; Act on the object and then exit.
                           (funcall actor elt)
                           (setq actions (1+ actions)
                                 next (lambda () nil)))
                          ((eq def 'quit)
                           (setq quit-flag t)
                           (funcall try-again))
                          ((eq def 'automatic)
                           ;; Act on this and all following objects.
                           (if (funcall prompter elt)
                               (progn
                                 (funcall actor elt)
                                 (setq actions (1+ actions))))
                           (while (funcall next)
                             (if (funcall prompter elt)
                                 (progn
                                   (funcall actor elt)
                                   (setq actions (1+ actions))))))
                          ((eq def 'help)
                           (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*Help*"
                             (princ
                              (let ((object (if help (nth 0 help) "object"))
                                    (objects (if help (nth 1 help) "objects"))
                                    (action (if help (nth 2 help) "act on")))
                                (concat
                                 (format-message "\
Type SPC or `y' to %s the current %s;
DEL or `n' to skip the current %s;
RET or `q' to give up on the %s (skip all remaining %s);
C-g to quit (cancel the whole command);
! to %s all remaining %s;\n"
                                                 action object object action
objects action
                                                 objects)
                                 (mapconcat (function
                                             (lambda (elt)
                                               (format "%s to %s"
                                                       (single-key-description
                                                        (nth 0 elt))
                                                       (nth 2 elt))))
                                            action-alist
                                            ";\n")
                                 (if action-alist ";\n")
                                 (format "or . (period) to %s \
the current %s and exit."
                                         action object))))
                             (with-current-buffer standard-output
                               (help-mode)))

                           (funcall try-again))
                          ((and (symbolp def) (commandp def))
                           (call-interactively def)
                           ;; Regurgitated; try again.
                           (funcall try-again))
                          ((vectorp def)
                           ;; A user-defined key.
                           (if (funcall (aref def 0) elt) ;Call its function.
                               ;; The function has eaten this object.
                               (setq actions (1+ actions))
                             ;; Regurgitated; try again.
                             (funcall try-again)))
                          ((and (consp char)
                                (eq (car char) 'switch-frame))
                           ;; switch-frame event.  Put it off until we're done.
                           (setq delayed-switch-frame char)
                           (funcall try-again))
                          (t
                           ;; Random char.
                           (message "Type %s for help."
                                    (key-description (vector help-char)))
                           (beep)
                           (sit-for 1)
                           (funcall try-again))))
                   (prompt
                    (funcall actor elt)
                    (setq actions (1+ actions))))))
       (if delayed-switch-frame
           (setq unread-command-events
                 (cons delayed-switch-frame unread-command-events)))))
    ;; Clear the last prompt from the minibuffer, and restore the
    ;; previous echo-area message, if any.
    ;; Return the number of actions that were taken.
    actions))