Re: Commit mistake?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Commit mistake?
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 13:16:35 -0500

> I used VC.  The file was listed in *vc-dir*, but it has been for ages
> and was never a problem before.

Hmm... IIUC it was there because it's a file we used to generate but we
don't generate any more, so it's not ignored by .gitignore any more
(i.e. you should just `rm` it).

I recommend you don't ignore files marked as "unknown" in *vc-dir*:
they're a sign that there's a problem somewhere and it should be fixed
either by removing the file, or renaming it, or by changing .gitignore.

> But this time after I committed the change the status of that file
> also changed to "up-to-date", which suprised me but, unfortunately,

Do you remember exactly how you caused the commit?  I guess you used `v`
in *vc-dir*, but did you first select the files you wanted to commit, or
did you rely on the position of point to specify the file(s) (maybe
with point placed on a directory)?

        Stefan