Re: Identifying the face between STRETCH and right fringe.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Identifying the face between STRETCH and right fringe.
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 15:48:12 +0200

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2018 14:25:15 +0100
>
> Iʼm not sure I understand here: this is a non-default face, and itʼs
> not being extended to the window edge. Based on what you say here
> thatʼs normal, but X11 and Windows *donʼt* do it?

No, it's the other way around: X11 and Windows *don't* extend the
face, the NS build *does*.  Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but
my interpretation was that you liked the NS behavior (which I think is
a bug).

> > So I'm puzzled by your preference.  Do you see a behavior
> > like the one you fancy in any other similar situation?
>
> Yes: on macOS, if I turn on hl-line-mode, then the highlighting is
> only extended to the edge if point is not in the last line of the
> buffer.

Hl-Line mode explicitly highlights the entire line, so it's a small
wonder you see the entire line highlighted in its color.  What happens
at EOB could be a bug (or a feature) in hl-line, and is not related to
the issue at hand in any way, shape or form, because hl-line.el does
this:

      (setq tmp t
            b (line-beginning-position)
            e (line-beginning-position 2)))
    (if tmp
        (move-overlay overlay b e)

Which intends to set the background of every character until the
beginning of the next line.

> That may well be a symptom of the same issue

No, they are two entirely different issues, AFAICT.