Re: Flymake, compilation-mode lighters very noisy

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Flymake, compilation-mode lighters very noisy
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:58:22 +0000

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 11:36 AM Yuri Khan <address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 5:39 PM João Távora <address@hidden> wrote:

> This is too long for me to read right now, sorry.

Please take your time. No pressure.

> The simple variable flymake-always-show-indicators-min-severity-level would fix the problem you reported yesterday, and it would be trivial to implement, but you seem to be suggesting much more.

I am suggesting a massive logic:presentation split-up, so that not
only my problem would be fixed but also similar problems for different
categories of other users,

We still need to clear up exactly what situations/problems we would be
fixing...

and because such a split-up is generally a good thing.

With emphasis on the "generally" :-).  I'd rather fix concrete problems, like
the one you brought me originally.  I must admit I don't have much incentive
in what is potentially an overdesign (for me in particular) of this bit of
functionality, so you must find another "sponsor".

 > By the way, I only asked you to propose a break up of that function because you talked about copying it to your init and tweaking it. I assumed those tweaks would not be random... :)

Okay, if we are talking about my tweaks only, then I would want to
have a configuration where a red or yellow anything on my mode line
means an actionable alert. That is, only display color if there is
something I *can* and *should* fix immediately.

* First, I would suppress zero counters of all severities. This would
make it possible for me to work on projects that currently have no
errors or warnings and where the policy is to keep errors and warnings
at zero.

OK. So is a flymake-supress-zero-counters variable enough? If set to t, means
to supress all zero counters. If set to :warning, the default, means to suppress
zero counters of severity less than warning.  Likewise if set to severity X.
If set to nil, don't supress any zero counters.

* I could get involved in a project that has warnings, and where I
cannot fix them all at the source. Then I would first attempt to see
if I can customize the checker rules to silence those categories of
errors or warnings. If that proved infeasible, then I would have to
live with a non-zero error or warning counter; in that case I would
want to tweak the indicator so that the counters were displayed in a
normal face, not in red and yellow.

…And here I looked at where it gets the faces from and saw I could
just (put 'flymake-error 'mode-line-face nil). Thank you, immediate
problem solved, sorry for the panic :)

Yes, I was going to suggest that. That's the standard way to affect
error types.

> Propose those changes in a patch or a scratch branch! Or, alternatively, propose only the new customization variable/interfaces you would like to see added, along with docstrings, and we can deal with the implementation later after we settle on the user interface.

As someone who has not assigned copyright to FSF, I think I can
currently only propose ideas, and modest amounts of code.

Then start working on that assignment!

João Távora