Re: [found the culprit]

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [found the culprit]
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2018 14:42:52 +0700

On Sat, Nov 17, 2018 at 6:02 AM Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:

>   > That is, should Z on a zip archive just change its compression
>   > mode to store, without extracting the files?
>
> If there is such a thing as compression mode in a zip archive (I don't
> know), that would make sense.

There is, but it doesn’t.

A .tar.gz archive is (most of the time) a single compressed stream of
a multi-file container.

On the contrary, a zip archive is a container of multiple compressed
file streams. So, in a zip archive, each contained file can be
compressed by a different algorithm. It does not make sense to only
give the user a way to change compression for all files in a zip at
once.