Re: [emacs -q versus empty .emacs file]

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: [emacs -q versus empty .emacs file]
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 14:16:15 +0100

>>> "Alan" == Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

   >> > I don't know, because it works for me.  Did you try in "emacs -Q"?

   >> I also  tried out emacs -q and it works as expected, but when I start
   >> emacs

   > Please don't confuse "emacs -Q" with "emacs -q" - they're not the same.

I know. Sorry for any misleading comments.

   > Hope that helps!

The point is, as I wrote in a later message:
it is the version of emacs which makes the difference

So

emacs25 -q (or -Q)

shows the behavior Eli was mentioning and which I
was expecting

However
emacs27 -q (or -Q)

Shows the new behavior

(Z in dired mode does not uncompress tgz to tar, but extract it
contents!)