Re: tgz extension and dired-do-compress

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: tgz extension and dired-do-compress
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 19:15:43 +0100

>>> "Eli" == Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

   >> From: Uwe Brauer <address@hidden>
   >> Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2018 14:18:21 +0100
   >>

   >> Hi   The setting of the variable    dired-filetype-compress-regexp
   >> is a variable defined in ‘dired-filetype-face.el’.  Its value is

   > That's not the variable relevant to dired-do-compress.  But that's not
   > your problem, as the variable dired-compress-file-suffixes also
   > includes .tgz.

   >> However whenever I try to run dired-do-compress on a tgz archive it is
   >> not uncompressed to a tar archive. What do I miss?

   > I don't know, because it works for me.  Did you try in "emacs -Q"?

It works for me using emacs -Q.

However with my init files loaded,  when I run Z in a dired buffer, the
tgz package gets extracted, not only uncompressed as it does when
starting emacs -Q

Strangely enough
,----

| Z runs the command dired-do-compress (found in dired-mode-map), which
| is an interactive autoloaded compiled Lisp function in ‘dired-aux.el’.
|
| It is bound to Z, <menu-bar> <operate> <compress>.
|
| (dired-do-compress &optional ARG)
|
| Compress or uncompress marked (or next ARG) files.

`----

And dired-aux.el is in

Library is file /opt/emacs27/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/dired-aux.elc

So I am really confused, something got redefined, defadvice, but usually
the help would tell me if that function is adviced. Very strange