Re: Licensing for source code contained in Emacs manuals

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Licensing for source code contained in Emacs manuals
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 12:01:24 -0800

Daniel Pittman wrote:
Would it be appropriate to extend the documentation to explicitly permit
reuse of the sample code in the Emacs flymake manual, or all Emacs manuals,
under the same license as Emacs itself?  That is, sample code could be used
under the GFDL*or*  the GPLv3 (at this time).

I'm sure that could be fine. Alternatively, and without needing any special rules about this, the distribution could contain a separate copy of the code in question in standard source-code form, licensed under the GPL. The documentation could explain that the code itself is also available outside the documentation and that it is GPLed there. As a user, I'd prefer that to cutting and pasting out of the documentation.