Re: emacsclient socket ownership

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: emacsclient socket ownership
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2018 10:17:33 -0800

On 11/6/18 9:19 AM, Daniel Pittman wrote:
On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 2:27 AM Paul Eggert <address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>> wrote:

    Stefan Monnier wrote:
    > /run is not an option for non-root users, I believe.

    It works for me on Ubuntu 18.04.1 and seems to be used for this
    sort of thing:

There is no /run on macOS, and I'm pretty sure at least OpenBSD have rejected the idea.

That's OK. Emacs can use /run if available, and fall back on the current approach (with /tmp) otherwise.

Would not a better choice be to locate the socket at ${HOME}/.emacs.d/${something} instead?  That avoids the need to make it globally accessible in the first place.

/run is better because it does not survive reboot, and avoids security and availability issues on networked filesystems.

there isn't any way to prevent root accessing any socket, by design.

Of course, but that's not the issue. The concern here is whether a non-root user can trick a root program into doing stuff that root doesn't really want to do.