Re: dolist considered harmful

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: dolist considered harmful
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 18:44:54 -0400

On Wed, 31 Oct 2018 at 18:10, Garreau, Alexandre <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 2018-10-30 at 14:39, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > All this pcase-dolist discussion made me take a second look at dolist
> > and now I wondering whether we should keep it:
>
> This is still extreme: I never saw anyone suggesting to remove anything
> about pcase or its derivative… but I can get quite distracted sometimes
> so maybe I missed it.

Not pcase, but Alan talked about removing pcase-dolist and other derivatives:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2018-10/msg00664.html

    If we can't get quality doc strings for pcase-dolist and friends, I say
    we should remove them from Emacs.  There are only around 30 occurrences
    of pcase-dolist.

> (btw is emacs tail-recursive?),

Nope. Which is why recursion is not idiomatic.