Re: Performance degradation from long lines

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Performance degradation from long lines
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2018 18:15:58 -0400

>>> I was unsure from the outset whether it was appropriate for a GNU
>>> ELPA package to make explicit reference to packages which were not
>>> available in core or through GNU ELPA, so I'm already aware of a

It's perfectly OK to mention (e.g. test for equality and such) pretty
much any Elisp package (assuming it's Free Software).

When introducing such a blacklist of modes, it's always good to also add
some way for a mode to voluntarily flag itself as "black", so the list
has a chance to shrink over time.

E.g. we could add a symbol property `slow-on-long-lines` which
font-lock-mode could set to announce that it assumes lines aren't
terribly long.

        Stefan