Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources

From: Noam Postavsky
Subject: Re: Replace trivial pcase occurrences in the Emacs sources
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 11:07:10 -0400

On Tue, 23 Oct 2018 at 10:47, Michael Heerdegen
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Clément Pit-Claudel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 23/10/2018 09.04, Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> > > In a second step, I also would want to replace the unnecessarily
> > > backquoted patterns to use quotes
> >
> > IIRC, one issue with that is that the quoted form doesn't work in some
> > old-but-still-popular Emacsen.
>
> I'm not sure I understand.  I plan to do that only in the Emacs sources
> (in master).  How can that be problematic for older Emacsen?

There are some files in Emacs master branch that are also distributed
in GNU ELPA for older Emacs, e.g., python.el (I don't know if it has
any pcase instances that you might want to replace, it's just the
first example that came to mind).

Another thing to watch out for is that pcase is available earlier than
cl-case in the bootstrap sequence.