Re: `pop-up-frames' and binding/setting user options [was: Documenting b

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: `pop-up-frames' and binding/setting user options [was: Documenting buffer display]
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 20:01:57 +0300

> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2018 09:10:20 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Drew Adams <address@hidden>
>
> > A user option has to be respected.
>
> A _user_ has to be respected.

Yes.  And they _are_ respected.

I don't really understand what are you arguing about here.  There's
nothing wrong in deprecating certain interfaces if we find that they
get in the way of Emacs development and/or maintenance.  As long as
the "old ways" are supported and documented, no one and nothing is
harmed.  You've voiced your opinion in favor of pop-up-frames etc.,
and against favoring display-buffer and friends, and we happen to
disagree with it.  There's no need to continue arguing that same
argument, as the disagreement is clear.  It is entirely okay for Emacs
developers to try to encourage users to use the interfaces we favor,
even if you happen to disagree.