Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 7cfe2dc: In edebug in GUIs, move focus to the s

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 7cfe2dc: In edebug in GUIs, move focus to the selected frame.
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 17:12:38 -0400

>> If the intention is only to display the code shouldn't use pop-to-buffer
>> but display-buffer.
> The doc string of display-buffer is a bit of a heavy read at this time
> of night.  ;-)

pop-to-buffer is no simpler: it's basically the same as (select-window
(display-buffer BUF)).

BTW, pop-to-buffer already calls `select-frame-set-input-focus`.
And I see that edebug-pop-to-buffer doesn't call pop-to-buffer, and that
it comes with:

    ;; FIXME: We should probably just be using `pop-to-buffer'.

So maybe the better path is indeed to scratch edebug-pop-to-buffer and
use pop-to-buffer instead (or more likely, to change
edebug-pop-to-buffer so that it uses pop-to-buffer internally).

> Most Emacs users restrict themselves to just one frame?  Ouch!  I
> couldn't work like that!

At least, that's the conclusion I draw from years of fighting code using
save-window-excursion and such.

        Stefan