Re: recent master core dumps building on FreeBSD i386

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: recent master core dumps building on FreeBSD i386
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 18:09:39 -0700

On 10/17/18 9:10 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
As far as I can tell, the core dump began with f5896e2.
This is unexpected.  Can you run the offending command under GDB and
show the backtrace from the crash, please?

Quite possibly this is yet another obscure bug involving dumping. I hope the portable dumper will be merged soon. Could you please remind me what the remaining trouble spots are with pdumper, i.e., the issues that are preventing merging that branch in?

Anyway, I struggled a bit with Joseph's report (trying lots of ways to build Emacs master on Fedora 28) and managed to reproduce a similar problem that does indeed involve dumping. I installed into Emacs master the attached patch, which fixed that bug for me. Joseph, please try the latest master, and if that doesn't work then GDB may well be your friend (though it may not be; dumping leads to reaaaally obscure problems).