Re: Emacs undo behavior frustrating for new users.

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Emacs undo behavior frustrating for new users.
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 15:28:57 +0200

On Mon, Oct 15 2018, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
Joost Kremers <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]
the form of the `undo-tree' package:
<https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/undo-tree.html>

[snip]

IMvHO `undo-tree' should simply be made the default undo in Emacs.

In my experience, undo-tree is one of those packages that looks
impressive when you discover it but finally it is seldom used.

Hmm, it's my default undo system and I wouldn't say I use it only rarely. I use the tree visualiser at least a couple of times a week.

Honestly, though, I believe any imaginable undo/redo system that keeps *all* past states of the buffer accessible would basically be a variation of undo-tree. And from a user POV, undo-tree is quite straightforward and easy-to-use, IMHO. It certainly has some bells and whistles that look impressive but may not be very useful in practice, but that doesn't change its basic usefulness.

Grafting a redo on Emacs' current undo system may be possible as well, I can't say, but I can't really imagine what such a system would look like. That may just be my lack of imagination, of course.

OTOH, some of us experienced catastrophic failures while using undo-tree
consisting on the disappearance of all undo information.

That's not good, obviously. I never experienced anything like that.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments