Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2018 17:41:05 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>       address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2018 23:57:01 -0400
>
> We could conceivably have a feature that would check any fontset for
> confusable characters

I'm not an expert on fonts, but I don't think this is reliable enough.
Are you saying that a font might use the same glyph for similarly
looking characters from different scripts?  If that is true, then yes,
we could detect that.  But the fact that we have such a font doesn't
yet mean there is a problem worth warning the user, since these
characters need to be _used_ in a certain context to cause confusion.