Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Change of Lisp syntax for "fancy" quotes in Emacs 27?
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:07:20 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I see no reason to warn about a symbol named "сталин", even
though the characters с and а will be considered confusables if the
symbol would be named something like "саn".

Sure, that's fine. We can limit symbol warnings to the symbols containing non-ASCII chars all of which are confusable with ASCII. This will warn about "саn" (with Cyrillic "с" and "а") but not about "сталин" (with Cyrillic "a").

The point of the guideline is not to warn about every possible confusable character; it's to defend against malicious code.