Re: macOS: Cursor leaving traces when scrolling

From: Alan Third
Subject: Re: macOS: Cursor leaving traces when scrolling
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2018 12:14:44 +0100

On Sat, Oct 06, 2018 at 08:06:29AM -0400, David Reitter wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2018, at 5:58 PM, Alan Third <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I believe it’s because we’re copying the contents of the frame on
> > scroll without redrawing it without the cursor first. I think that
> > means we need to stick a call to NSView displayIfNeeded into
> > ns_copy_bits or ns_scroll_run.
>
> It seems to be limited to scrolling, not all cursor movement, so yes.
> Any news on this?

It seems this is more complicated that I thought. Adding a call to
displayIfNeeded causes the whole frame to flicker and doesn’t always
get rid of the cursor. I’ve no idea why.

The attached patch fixes it, but it marks the whole area dirty instead
of copying it, so it will be redrawn at the next expose event. I can’t
see any difference in simple testing, but it may slow down scrolling
on very complex buffers.
--
Alan Third