Re: #<buffer *nntpd*> and split-fancy-:-unparseable base64-encoded heade

From: Garreau\, Alexandre
Subject: Re: #<buffer *nntpd*> and split-fancy-:-unparseable base64-encoded header.
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 13:43:35 +0200

Le 23/09/2018 à 13h36, Andreas Schwab a écrit :
> On Sep 23 2018, "Garreau, Alexandre" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Why isn’t this behavior the default?
>
> My guess would be that it was too slow.

than now? did it change?

Here I’m receiving (and splitting) some thousands of mail per day (most
of it lists, newsletters, and spam, all using list-id (yes even spam))
and it’s fine.

If that’s really an issue, since the buffer must be decoded anyway at
some time… cannot emacs store it decoded at worse? with some
emacs-specific way of specifying encoding (maybe utf-8 by default? in
file? per config?

I mean, it was pointed indeed having it to nil by default seems to imply
incorrect behavior since headers may be encoded anyway and I hardly see
a case where encoding is more important than encoded content (why not
still, but…) and since we’re in the case of a generalistic function… or
is the user supposed to find the function for decoding the headers she’s
interested in and decode it manually before parsing it?