Re: Why should it be so hard to tell find-dired to use a different windo

From: Trevor Murphy
Subject: Re: Why should it be so hard to tell find-dired to use a different window?
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2018 17:20:58 -0700

There's pop-to-buffer-same-window.

Is there any particular reason to keep using switch-to-buffer here?

AFAIK the only reason is history

Alright, well, I mean I’ve already signed over my copyright to FSF and this is a super small change. Here’s the obvious patch, I hope it gets applied.

I don’t think it can negatively affect anybody’s quality of life. I don’t see any calls to find-dired and friends in the stock Emacs codebase, I don’t see any calls in major packages I might expect to use dired under the hood (e.g. neotree), and so I’d only worry about interactive use of the command. But then without additional customization p-t-b-s-w should behave the same as s-t-b.

Then on the positive side this would allow customization if folks (like me) use find-dired and friends on a regular basis.