Re: feedmail.el in the public domain?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: feedmail.el in the public domain?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 11:12:02 -0400

> Does this mean we cannot/shouldn't have _any_ PD files in Emacs?

No, IIUC it just means that their header notices shouldn't say public
domain because, while the original version may have been PD, the current
version is inevitably covered by the copyright of the FSF because of all
the changes we've accumulated on them since they were incorporated
into Emacs.

And for that same reason, we need to distribute them under a license we
find acceptable: it could be CC0 (to try and mimick PD as much as
possible), or GPLv3+ (like all our other files).

> Because feedmail.el isn't the only one, we have a few more.

Indeed,

        Stefan