Re: visual-region-mode?

From: Charles A. Roelli
Subject: Re: visual-region-mode?
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2018 21:31:24 +0200

> From: hw <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2018 21:21:30 +0200
>
> > and the commands using the region
> > are well-marked (e.g. "kill-region", "fill-region", "eval-region",
> > ...).
>
> How does this make hidden regions efficient?

You have a clear set of actions that can work on the region, anytime,
no matter whether the region is "hidden", or active and visible, or
rectangular.

> I'm simply not using the mark, and it shouldn't be there.  The hidden
> regions they create are a source for errors.  Make it so they don't
> create regions, and the mark might become usable, provided it can be
> made visible.

The "hidden regions" can only be a source of error if you type, say,
C-w or M-w at random during editing.  I don't understand why you would
do that, especially in your case if you haven't selected a region
beforehand.  You could just as well have hit C-/ or C-k, which will
also change your buffer.