Debugging problem with sieve-manage

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Debugging problem with sieve-manage
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 09:27:34 -0700

I haven't used sieve-manage for a while, but have recently noticed that
it's stopped working properly, and wonder if it might have something to
do with the recent changes to network stuff in Emacs.

Normally you call `sieve-manage', enter the name of the server, and it
shows you a list of the sieve scripts in that account, for editing. I
connect using a line in .authinfo.gpg:

This used to work fine, now when I do call `sieve-manage' I see:

sieve: Connecting to <server>...
sieve: Authenticating using PLAIN...

And then it hangs indefinitely. Debug on quit gives me:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (quit)
  accept-process-output(#<process SIEVE> 1)
  sieve-sasl-auth(#<buffer  *sieve nil:sieve*-806556> "PLAIN")
  sieve-manage-plain-auth(#<buffer  *sieve nil:sieve*-806556>)
  sieve-manage-authenticate()
  sieve-open-server("<server>" nil)
  sieve-manage("<server>")
  funcall-interactively(sieve-manage "<server>")

When I quit I see the half-rendered *Sieve* buffer, minus the list of
active scripts, so it really has just hung on receiving that information
from the server. The process is still alive after quit.

Dovecot on the remote server is responsible for maintaining the
managesieve process, but there's nothing in the config but to set the
default listening port of 4190.

Any tips for further debugging very welcome!

Thanks,
Eric