Re: zero-width line continuation glyph

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: zero-width line continuation glyph
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 15:24:57 +0300

> From: Robert Pluim <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:58:55 +0200
>
> Iʼm trying to get the line continuation character to not be shown for
> lines that are exactly as long as the window width. In a GUI frame,
> with the fringe turned off, I can do:
>
> (let ((disptab (or buffer-display-table
>                    (setq buffer-display-table (make-display-table)))))
>     (set-display-table-slot disptab 'wrap (gethash "ZERO WIDTH SPACE"
> (ucs-names))))
>
> which causes the '\' to not be shown, but the next character does not
> get displayed in its place, ie

ZERO WIDTH SPACE by default is displayed as a 1-pixel thin space, so I
think you will have to tweak glyphless-char-display-control to display
that character as nothing, to get what you want.  Otherwise, the 1
pixel less space left on the line is not enough for Emacs to display
another character.

> In emacs -nw, the behaviour is different:
>
> 0123456789
> xxxxxxxxxx\
>
> gets transformed to
>
> 0123456789
> xxxxxxxxxxx
>
> which is what I want, but then any characters I add to the end of that line
> are not
> displayed at all.

Since TTYs cannot display thin characters, the above sounds like a bug
to me.  But again, without tweaking glyphless-char-display-control,
what you want cannot happen (if at all).