zero-width line continuation glyph

From: Robert Pluim
Subject: zero-width line continuation glyph
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 13:58:55 +0200

Hi,

Iʼm trying to get the line continuation character to not be shown for
lines that are exactly as long as the window width. In a GUI frame,
with the fringe turned off, I can do:

(let ((disptab (or buffer-display-table
                   (setq buffer-display-table (make-display-table)))))
    (set-display-table-slot disptab 'wrap (gethash "ZERO WIDTH SPACE"
(ucs-names))))

which causes the '\' to not be shown, but the next character does not
get displayed in its place, ie

0123456789
xxxxxxxxxx\

gets transformed to

0123456789
xxxxxxxxxx

In emacs -nw, the behaviour is different:

0123456789
xxxxxxxxxx\

gets transformed to

0123456789
xxxxxxxxxxx

which is what I want, but then any characters I add to the end of that line are
not
displayed at all.

Thanks

Robert