Re: org-copy-visible does not work with x-select-enable-primary

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: org-copy-visible does not work with x-select-enable-primary
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:27:35 +0300

> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 17:20:45 +0200
> From: address@hidden
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
>
>  > It will yank only "* foo" if you move the cursor in the Org buffer
>  > before yanking, or do anything else that removes the selection
>  > (i.e. removes the highlight due to selecting text).
>
> Are you sure??

Quite sure.  But it doesn't matter much: what matters is that the
offending string, "* foo\nbar", comes from the call to
gui-selection-value.  And once it gets into the kill-ring, you cannot
undo that.  org-copy-visible only handles what gets put into the kill
ring when you invoke the command, it doesn't do anything what happens
about invisible text when you yank.

> (NB: With x-select-enable-primary false --default--, it yanks "* foo"
> whether I remove the selection or not.)

Yes, because without that, yanking doesn't consult the primary
selection, it only consults the clipboard.