Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 09:34:52 -0400

> Emacs should not half-ass the embracing of new users. Either go the
> full hog - CUA, C-z undo, C-y redo (real redo), C-s save, C-a select
> all, shift-selection-mode, right-click context menu.  Only then there
> is any hope for the non-manual-readers.

There are two separate issues:
1- what is the best UI (according to us)
2- what we should do for new users

As maintainer, I used (1) rather than (2) as my guide to choose the
default settings.

Whether the best UI has d-s-m enabled or disabled is under discussion.
My opinion is that regarding point (1) d-s-m doesn't matter much: both
choices are about equally good.  So I'd favor enabling it (after fixing
its implementation) on the grounds that it's what other UIs do.

But just because for this particular choice, I/we end up deciding of the
default value based on (2), that doesn't mean that it should be the case
for everything else.

        Stefan