Re: Some developement questions

From: hw
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2018 11:35:58 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: hw <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden,  address@hidden
>> Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 01:23:53 +0200
>>
>> > The Emacs tutorial already mentions the arrow keys, before it teaches
>> > the more ergonomic cursor motion keys.
>>
>> My point is not which particular keys to use but that the tutorial
>> doesn't fly because it makes false assumptions ---
>>
>> in this case about the efficiency with which certain keys can be pressed
>> which largely depends on
>>
>> + the users and their skill-level in 10-finger typing,
>>
>> + the equipment in use and
>>
>> + the difficulty of un-learning the usage of arrow keys which might have
>>   already been practised to a rather high and extremely efficient
>>   skill-level over decades and is still needed everywhere else
>
> Yes, the tutorial makes a point of catering also for people who want
> or can overcome these obstacles.

I'm not sure what you're referring to.  I'm seeing the tutorial
repeating that you can use the cursor keys but should learn others
because they are supposedly more efficient.

> I see nothing wrong with that: if you are one of those who can't, just
> ignore the part about ergonomic cursor motion keys.

Does the tutorial say that when you use cursor keys, you can skip
forward to line 322 and start reading there?

>> --- which lead the tutorial to lengthly go into explanations about
>> irrelevant key bindings rather than about relevant ones which prevents
>> it from picking up beginners where they think they are so that
>> confidence can be instilled in them that they can learn Emacs, and trust
>> that Emacs isn't difficult to use at all.
>
> Are we talking about the same tutorial?  Here's the actual text:
>
>   * BASIC CURSOR CONTROL
>   ----------------------
>
>   Moving from screenful to screenful is useful, but how do you
>   move to a specific place within the text on the screen?
>
>   There are several ways you can do this.  You can use the arrow keys,
>   but it's more efficient to keep your hands in the standard position
>   and use the commands C-p, C-b, C-f, and C-n. [...]

Yes, we are talking about the same tutorial.

The tutorial uses the first 322 lines (26%) to go on and on about these
movement keys.  It is supposed to be *the* Emacs tutorial, not a
keyboard tutorial.

Do you really think that *the* Emacs tutorial should use its first 300+
lines to cover a non-issue?  Isn't there anything much more interesting
and far more important to learn about Emacs?