Re: delete-selection-mode as default

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: delete-selection-mode as default
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 19:16:02 +0300

>> Incidentally, yesterday I discovered a case when Wdired breaks
>> delete-selection-mode.  Selecting a file name in Wdired and starting
>> to type its new name to completely replace an old name with a new one
>> signals the error "No file on this line", then removes
>> delete-selection-pre-hook from pre-command-hook while leaving
>> delete-selection-mode still active, so delete-selection-mode becomes
>> completely broken - it doesn't replace the selection anymore.
>
> In what version of Emacs did you see that?
>
> We recently fixed bug#32173, and the above sounds like something
> similar.

Thanks for the reference, I can confirm it's caused by changes in
bug#32173 a month ago.  I reported a new bug#32673, but maybe it can be
merged with the already archived bug#32173.

This bug is a clear indication that delete-selection-mode needs to be moved
to simple.el where it will fit near shift-select-mode and transient-mark-mode.