Re: list-threads

From: Gemini Lasswell
Subject: Re: list-threads
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2018 08:44:41 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> A few of comments:

Thanks for the feedback.

>  . I'm not sure the section bout list-threads should be in the ELisp
>    manual.  It's a user command.  OTOH, list-processes is also
>    described in the ELisp manual, hmm...

list-timers is also described in the ELisp manual.  All three commands
are more useful to Lisp programmers than to Emacs users who don't know
Lisp.  So I've left it where it is.

>  . But if we decide to leave this section where it is, then it should
>    behave like any other section in that manual, which means variables
>    are described with @defvar.
>
>  . Please add a cross-reference to the section where make-thread is
>    described where you tell that the thread's name comes from that
>    call.  Info manuals should always cross-link to the description of
>    each major topic when they refer to it, because people frequently
>    read the manual out of order.
>
>  . "Send a signal to the thread" is slightly misleading, because it
>    can be interpreted as talking about OS signals.  Suggest to use
>    "signal the thread" instead.  I'd also qualify that what each
>    thread does for each of the 2 signals is entirely up to the thread
>    (default is to exit on any signal).
>
>  . This text is slightly inaccurate:
>
>     Be aware that by the time you see the backtrace, the thread
>     may have resumed execution, and be in a different section of
>     code, or be completed.
>
>    I would rephrase like this:
>
>     Be aware that the backtrace is a snapshot; the thread could have
>     meanwhile resumed execution, and could be in a different state, or
>     could have exited.

>  . Finally, I think the NEWS entry should be a bit longer, and should
>    say this is a new command.

I've made all these changes, in 8adc0e518f.

>  . Will the new function backtrace--frames-from-thread (and its
>    subroutines) compile and work in an Emacs configured without
>    threads?  If not, they should be conditioned by THREADS_ENABLED.

Yes, they compile.  In an Emacs configured without threads,
backtrace--frames-from-thread is present but will always give a
wrong-type-argument error, because you can't make a thread object to
pass to it without make-thread.