Re: Some developement questions

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2018 09:59:51 +0200

On Wed, Sep 05 2018, Paul Eggert wrote:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
What newbies see when they start Emacs is not*scratch*, it's the
splash image and the welcome buffer.

True; I'd forgotten. But we could still spruce up those bottom two lines, no? They're still using monospaced fonts and look like refugees from the 1980s.

IMHO the monospace font is not the problem. The font I get when I do `emacs -Q` looks quite good (it's DejaVu Sans Mono, BTW). But some way to visualise different types of information (similar to what most mode-line packages do), perhaps a few unicode symbols and a default way to put things at the right side of the mode line would, I think, go a long way to make the mode line look more modern.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments