Re: Bignum speedup patch causes crash at startup

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Bignum speedup patch causes crash at startup
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2018 09:40:47 -0700

Andy Moreton wrote:

The recent changes in commit fe042e9d ("Speed up (+ 2 2) by a factor of
10") cause an immediate crash in 64bit emacs on Windows.

Thanks for reporting it. Please try the attached patch, which I installed on
master.

A patch that is this invasive should have been posted for comment and
review before it was committed.

My feeling was that it was limited to bignum calculations, a reasonably compact area conceptually where we don't have many reviewers, unfortunately. Also, my judgment was that the effort to split this patch into pieces would have been more trouble overall than it would have been worth. Obviously this is a judgment call.

I do regularly post for comment patches that I think might run into trouble on the MS-Windows side. I didn't think this one would cause trouble. Evidently I was wrong, sorry; these things happen.