Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: hw
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2018 18:43:23 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> > So we will need to have machine learning in Emacs for this to work
>> > satisfactorily?
>>
>> That would depend on what one is satisfied with.  Generally, well, why
>> shouldn't an editor or other software learn about the preferences and
>> the behaviour of its user and thus become able to yield a better usage
>> experience and better support with the work the user is using the
>> software to do?
>>
>> Thinking of it, I much prefer software that kinda does that already;
>> only it doesn't do that by itself, so I have to do it --- by setting
>> preferences, writing my own functions, defining my own key bindings, for
>> example.  I wouldn't need to do all that if the software could figure it
>> out by itself.
>
> Do you imagine that there is a policy here to exclude what you're asking
> for? On the contrary. Patches for such enhancements are welcome, I'm
> sure. Emacs development is by volunteers, such as yourself. You've
> helped already by offering thoughts about various things. There are lots
> of ways to help. Contributing ideas or code for the kind of thing you're
> asking for would be great.

I'd find it wonderful if I could provide such enhancements.  I provided
an enhanced version of hi-lock-mode years ago and never heard back about
it.  I think my version stopped working some time after that, but since
I didn't have time to look into it and didn't use it as much anymore, I
never found out what happened.