Tramp as ELPA package (was: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode)

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Tramp as ELPA package (was: GNU ELPA package for CC-mode)
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 10:43:40 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> Sounds good. Tramp is suffering from the same problem. It's version is
>> `tramp-version' in file trampver.el. This file is generated by the
>> autoconf/configure mechanism, when I release a new Tramp version.
>
> Where do you keep the "master" version number (i.e. where does the
> autoconf/configure mechanism find the version that needs to be put into
> tramp-ver.el)?

The Tramp version number is defined in configure.ac, the only place. It
is used in the configure script (in order to check for a proper Emacs
version and print a proper error message when it fails) and in the
generated files trampver.el and trampver.texi.

> Any chance you could keep it in a "Version:" line in tramp.el?

It is already in the "Version:" line of trampver.el. Any chance for
package.el to get it from there?

The point is that I want to keep it as product on savannah. There should
be only one single place keeping the version number (configure.ac), and
tramp.el shall not be generated.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.