Re: User interaction from multiple threads

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: User interaction from multiple threads
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 22:00:03 -0400

  > > With multiple threads asynchonously requesting input, I have a feeling
  > > that users will get confused in complicated situations as a result of
  > > not knowing which thread the input is for.

  > Yes, and I think we all agreed that some sort of serialization is
  > needed.

We agree about the serialization, but the issue I am not talking about
now is different.  I am talking about managing the various input
requests -- choosing the order of the requests, and identifying which
request is being made now and on behalf of which activity.

  > > Perhaps the minibuffer should indicate which thread is making the request
  > > when that isn't the current thread.

  > Why is that important?  Wouldn't the prompt itself be informative
  > enough?

We can hardly assume that the prompt shows which activity is asking
for the input.  What if two different threads ask for a Password?
The prompt might say, "Password: ".  Which password should it be?

  >   And how (in what terms) would you suggest to indicate the
  > thread ID in this case?

I don't know enough about the thread feature to figure that out.
Perhaps based on the thread's top-level function call?
Do threads have names?

--
Dr Richard Stallman