Re: Some developement questions

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Some developement questions
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 17:04:41 +0300

> From: hw <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 00:17:11 +0200
>
> I think I see your point to assume that the defaults are good and to
> present the user with the individual settings and to let him learn and
> make his own decisions because everyone is too different to do anything
> else.  That's great when the new user uses Emacs because he wants to
> learn how to use it, and it might not be so good when he wants to use
> Emacs to get some work done while the defaults happen not to be good for
> him: Even better when he can simply switch to a set of settings that
> helps him with his work without having to go through all the trial and
> error otherwise needed to get there.
>
> Does that make sense?

It might.  However, the proverbial proof of the pudding is in eating
it: I look forward to seeing concrete proposals of sets of non-default
settings that cater to certain users.  Then we could perhaps discuss
this further based on practical proposals, and see whether and how to
incorporate that into Emacs.

Thanks.