Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Making 'eq' == 'eql' in bignum branch
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2018 09:12:35 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
I don't think we want to argue for a total elimination of
most-positive-fixnum from our code.

I agree. Software like 'calc' springs to mind: quite possibly it will want to do some arithmetic in fixnums, and will want to know the fixnum range to do that, and most-negative-fixnum and most-positive-fixnum are how it can do that.

As I recall, Gerd introduced most-positive-fixnum and most-negative-fixnum to Emacs Lisp in 2001, as it was a good idea taken from Common Lisp. However, fixnump and bignump are not in Common Lisp, and we don't need them in Emacs Lisp either. When we're reinventing the wheel why add unnecessary gizmos?